Thursday 13 December 2007

Favourite Chocolate Bars

As a break from Chocolate Fountains I thought I'd write a few lines about my favourite chocolate bars.
I've always loved eating chocolate. It's got to be one of the things that unites us as human beings. The adoration of sweet chocolate, the devotion to bitter dark chocolate that thrills us and the delight of tasting new types and textures.

When I was a child my grandmother used to buy us animal bars - small chocolate bars with pictures of animals on the chocolate in relief. I remember the sweet shop she used to go to in Worcester - it was on The Shambles in Worcester and that's where I think she bought her ciggys too.
We'd occaisionally get milky bars which were also lovely but the animal bars were eaten time and time again.
Having a mars bar was a treat, and marathons were my favourite. They're called snickers now though. You can turn a mars bar into a snickers if you spread peanut butter on it. I'd not recommend you do this though, as the temptation to them add some nutella might be too strong!
Speaking of peanuts - Reece's cups are roundels of peanut butter coated in thick chocolate. They're delightful to eat. I really like those, but again you can have half and half nutella and peanut butter on a spoon and that's just delish too!

Another childhood favourite was Frys Chocolate Cream - in a dark blue wrapper. They have 215 calories. They're still available and sometimes you see the green wrapped one which I think is mintier.

My other gran used to buy us Helas filled chocolate bars and give us them as we were leaving. It'd be one of those big bars three chunks wide and we'd sit in the dark in the back of the car on the way home sharing them and not knowing what the flavour it'd be until you'd bitten into it.

The modern filled chocolate bar has as it's king the cadburys creme egg bar. These are absolutely gorgeous and they are much easier to share with people. Although you might not want to share them.

If you want to stray onto the more biscuity lines of chocolate related products you should try tesco value dark chocolate digestives. They're 27p and absolutely fantastic. They do a milk chocolate one too but we're not as keen on them.

My top choice for chocolatey biscuits though is jaffa cakes. 47 calories each if you're interested in that sort of thing, and there are 10 in a packet. Delicious with a cuppa, and can be eaten in a varitety of ways. Are you a nibbler who nibbbles off around the orangey bit and then picks the chocolate off that and eats the jelly on its own? Or do you play full moon, half moon, eclipse?

No comments: